Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to take the TOEFL or IELTS exams? Are any applicants exempt?

An applicant will be considered exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if they can certify their proficiency in English in one of the following ways :

  • Providing transcripts verifying an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year institution or equivalent, where the language of instruction is English;
  • Providing transcripts verifying a graduate degree from an accredited institution where the language of instruction is English.
Does your department offer a Master's in Fine Arts in Creative Writing?
No, the English Department does not offer a graduate program in creative writing. However, the School of Professional Studies offers a part-time Master's in Creative Writing.
Do you have a part-time and/or correspondence Master's degree program?
Our graduate degree programs require full-time enrollment and residency. The School of Professional Studies offers part-time Master's programs in Literature, in Creative Writing, and in Liberal Studies.
When should I visit campus?
Prospective students are welcome to visit campus informally and to stop by the department for general information. Because admission into our program is highly competitive, however, we ask that prospective students wait until admissions decisions have been made before making formal visits to meet with faculty and current graduate students. In March, we invite admitted doctoral students to attend a Visiting Weekend, during which they meet with faculty and current graduate students, tour the department, and sit in on graduate seminars. There are no formal visits for prospective Master's students.
When will I be notified about a decision?

Notification of Ph.D. decisions will normally occur in early February.

We aim to have decisions about M.A. applications sent no later than 8 weeks after each application submission deadline. 

How many recommendations do I need? And should these recommendations appear on special forms?
Two are required and three are recommended. All letters of recommendation must be submitted online through the ApplyYourself application system.
What kind of financial aid does your department provide?

Students admitted to the doctoral program receive full funding (full tuition remission and a living stipend) for a total of 5 academic years and 4 summers, as long as they stay in good academic standing.

We are unable to offer to Master's students financial aid of any kind, whether in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships, or research funding.
What is the last date by which I can take the GRE and still make the Ph.D. admission deadline?
We strongly advise applicants to take the test no later than in October. When applicants take the GRE in November or later, Northwestern sometimes receive the results after the deadline.
Does the English Department require the GRE English Literature Subject Test?
Whether you are applying to the Ph.D. or Master's Program, we require only your official scores from the general GRE. The subject exam remains optional.
Do I need a Master's degree to apply for a Ph.D. in English at Northwestern?
No, a Master's Degree is not a prerequisite for admission into our Ph.D. program.
Do you ever accept late applications?
The time constraints of the admissions season make it impossible for us to accept or review late applications.
What is the application deadline?
The deadlines for application submission are listed on the How to Apply page.  The online application system itself will be available early in September.
Can I use a paper application instead of the on-line application?
No. The Graduate School and English Department accept only online applications submitted through the ApplyYourself online application system. Paper applications are no longer available, and as such, we are unable to fulfill requests to mail them to prospective students.