Requirements for the English Major in Creative Writing
15 Courses, as follows:
(No writing course may be taken pass/fail or audited)
Three Introductory Courses*
(only two are required for application to the major, students must complete the third introductory course after acceptance to the program)
- 206 Reading & Writing Poetry**
- 207 Reading & Writing Fiction (pre-requisite: 206)
- 208 Reading & Writing Creative Nonfiction (pre-requisite: 206)
Year-long Writing Sequence
(1 of the following 3 credit courses)
- 393 Theory & Practice of Poetry
- 394 Theory & Practice of Fiction
- 395 Theory & Practice of Creative Nonfiction
392 The Situation of Writing
Six 300-level literature classes***
(from English Department offerings ONLY):
- 2 on material written prior to 1830
- 2 on material written after 1830
- 2 from any era
Two non-literature, Related Courses,****
from other department(s) that broaden a student’s background for the study of literature. These course must be approved by a creative writing advisor.
* The School for Continuing Studies also offer courses under English 206, 207, and 208. These courses do not count toward the English Major in Creative Writing.
** Freshmen may not enroll in this class until their first spring quarter. Seniors may not enroll until add/drop week.
*** Students who have completed both sections of either American Literary Traditions (270-1,2) or British Literary Traditions (210-1,2) can use these two courses to count as ONE of these six literature courses.
**** Students with a second major or a minor will be considered to have completed this requirement.
The Voice Within Us: Poetry Reading and Chapbook Release Celebration
May 26, 2015 • 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM