American Fellowship from the AAUW (American Association of University Women)
- Twelve months of funding, specifically for women who will be completing their dissertation between July of the current year and June of the next, with a stipend of $20,000
- Mid-November application submission deadline
- Students holding any fellowship for writing a dissertation in the year prior to the AAUW Educational Foundation fellowship year are not eligible for the American Fellowship
Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowships
- One-year stipend of $21,000 (tenure is to be no less than 9 months, and no more than 12). The awards will be made to individuals who, in the judgment of the review panels, have demonstrated superior academic achievement, are committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level, show promise of future achievement as scholars and teachers, and are well prepared to use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.
- Expenses paid to attend one Conference of Ford Fellows
- Early-November application submission deadline
- Only citizens of the United States or native residents of a possession of the United States are eligible. U.S. permanent residents who are citizens of another country will not be considered.
Josephine de Karman Fellowship
- Nine months of funding for students who will be completing their dissertations by the end of June in the year following conferral of the fellowship, with a stipend of $22,000. Study must be carried out only in the United States and all funds must be expended only within this country.
- Application requests must be received by the end of December
- Late January application receipt deadline
Mellon/ACLS Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Final dissertation writing year (the recipient must be no later than 7th year in the program while funded by this fellowship)
- Recipients are supported with a stipend of $25,000 + $5,000 in University fees and $3000 for research, the term of which begins in the summer following conferral of the fellowship
- Early November online-application submission deadline
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships
- Twelve months of dissertation writing, funded with a stipend of $23,000. All doctoral requirements except the dissertation must be completed by December of the year preceding the Fellowship award
- The graduate scholar must be preparing a dissertation in which ethical or religious values are a central concern
- November application submission deadline
Partial-year Fellowships and Grants
Charlotte W. Newcombe Dissertation Fellowships in Women's Studies
- $3,000 grant to be used to be used for expenses connected with the dissertation. These may include, but are not limited to, travel, books, microfilming, taping, and computer services.
- The graduate scholar must be preparing a dissertation related to women's studies and must be anticipating completion by the summer following application submission
- early-mid October application submission deadline
Back to Graduate Fellowships